All property photos
TOTAL LIVING AREA REDEFINED
Hummingbirds play here, their spirited hide-and-seek part of the sunwashed warmth and wonder of the private garden playground that surrounds this vibrant 1930s Spanish Colonial home. Thoughtful, extensive remodeling and upgrades artfully integrate modern functionality and flow with the property’s original curves and corners. The house’s main level floor plan is a hub-and-spoke, flowing out from a double story central entry hall to living, dining, kitchen/family and mudrooms, each a unique destination as well as a passage to the encircling garden. Arched windows and architectural balconies decorate the five bedrooms on the second level that includes two ensuites. Doors here are always open, and fresh air carrying the scent-of-the-season is an everyday companion. Patios and pathways mingle with fireplaces and fountains, gilded afternoons slip into luminous evenings, and ubiquitous music and lighting provide modern enhancements to comfortable, unhurried gatherings around the glow of the all-season fire pit. 1025 Black Mountain redefines total living area, and the only exterior walls of note are those at the edge of the garden.
With popular Vista Park just around the corner, the surrounding homes are a community within a community. Hillsborough is known for its perennially strong public schools, and its flexible mid-Peninsula location that makes SFO, San Francisco and Silicon Valley easily accessible.
- Double story central entry hall with wide, gracefully curving stairs, wrought iron railing and burnished brass candle sconces ascend to upper level
- Living room with plenty of space hosts cozy movie nights and, with French doors wide open, football game afternoons. Stunning signature picture window, high ceilings with rough-hewn beams, stone fireplace surround, hardwood floors with parquet border, newer windows and French doors
- Wide archway to adjacent dining room with floor to ceiling bay window and French doors framing outside fountain, striking chandelier, and French doors to patio
- Open kitchen and family room area with breakfast alcove. Quartz Caesarstone countertops, herringbone tile backsplash, freshly refinished hardwood floors, and stainless steel appliances including a six burner Wolf range with pot filler and griddle. Original arched leaded glass window, oversized peninsula counter with second sink, beverage fridge and counter seating. Dutch door to yard and windows with wide garden views
- Large mudroom with built-in storage and desk, large separate pantry, and garage access. French doors to patio and close-by outdoor kitchen for easy back and forth while cooking and entertaining
- Guest bathroom / powder room tucked away for privacy
- Spacious landing with arched window and custom lighting leads to five bedrooms and three full bathrooms including two ensuites
- Airy and private primary suite with French doors to balcony, large walk-in closet with built-ins, and gas fireplace shared with primary bathroom. Sleekly remodeled bathroom with spacious shower, free-standing bathtub, herringbone tile floor and vanity with double sinks
- Restful and spacious guest suite with French doors to balcony, arched window, private bathroom
- Three additional bedrooms share a large bathroom with shower over bathtub, double sinks and generous storage
- Stacked washer and dryer located next to large linen closet
- Exterior architectural details include covered entry porch with terra cotta tile and original wood front door, Spanish tile roof, romantic covered balconies, multiple arches, leaded glass windows and wrought iron railings
- Two car attached garage doubles as craft/rec room. Extensive built-in storage and second refrigerator
- High stucco wall, landscape screening and perimeter fencing for privacy and security, with everyday access via automatic driveway gate and pedestrian gates on both Black Mountain and Lancaster cul-de-sac
- Vista Park just around the corner
- Detached bike barn and extra storage
- Outdoor arbor-covered kitchen is efficiently located near both interior kitchen and dining room, simplifying meal coordination. Lynx grill, Perlick keg tap and refrigerator, sink and storage, task lighting and heat lamp
- Outdoor gas fireplace warms conversation area flowing naturally from dining room and outdoor dining patio. Low wall bordering patio area adds additional seating
- Signature oak with tire swing. Large level lawn area with drought-friendly synthetic turf for sports or just running around
- Central courtyard patio with large fountain and six foot all-season gas fire pit perfect for outdoor gatherings, movie nights and roasting marshmallows
- Pavered driveway for off-street parking, basketball and scootering
- Two zones for heating/cooling. One furnace and both A/C condensers recently replaced
- In-ceiling speakers throughout, exterior audio, lighting, security system, internet networking upgrades
- Schools: South Hillsborough Elementary, Crocker Middle School, San Mateo High School. Buyer to verify districting and enrollment
Floor Plans + Site Plans
In Hillsborough, large estates are the rule rather than the exception. The town is one of the wealthiest in the country and placed No. 18 on Forbes' 2014 list of the wealthiest U.S. ZIP codes (94010). Town ordinances ensure its exclusivity by enforcing a minimum house size of 2,500 square feet and a minimum lot size of a half-acre. Hillsborough’s population is greater than 11,000.
There are no apartments, condominiums, or townhouses in Hillsborough; Forbes calculates the median home price at $3,787,098. Notable residents past and present include entertainer Bing Crosby; publisher William Randolph Hearst; the king of Tonga, George Tupou V; diet guru Jenny Craig; and former Major League Baseball players J.T. Snow, Rickey Henderson, and Greg Maddux.
There are no commercial districts in Hillsborough. As a wealthy suburb of San Francisco, 17 miles to the north, life in the town is unhurried and quiet. The relaxed atmosphere is enhanced by tree-lined streets that don’t follow a grid pattern and instead wind around the hilly landscape. There are few traffic signals.
The town covers six square miles and is bounded by Burlingame to the north, San Mateo to the east and south, and Interstate 280 to the west.